Official Webpage/blog of artist Andy Brase

Friday, October 15, 2010

Titans cover: Pencil to Ink

Many people have been asking about the process for my art. I don't really have time right now for a full detailed tutorial. Though here are a few WIP scans and some notes.

First the rough sketch. This is were I nail down the composition. I'm mainly just concerned with shapes, figures, some of the lighting and overall ideas here. I don't worry about details in this stage and try to keep things loose. It's more experimenting and searching at this point.

After I create a comp, I'm happy with, it's on to penciling. I light box the original sketch to better paper (bristol board), so I have a clean start. In the case of the Titans cover I penciled it very tight, figuring out all the details of anatomy and lighting.

Pencil Detail:

The ink stage was just making everything solid and flow together. And here's the final inks, scanned straight off the drawing, without any computer coloring or altering.

6 comments:

  1. Awesome. Quick question if you don't mind. Do you ink right on to the pencils scan or do you lightbox the inks too? Thanks ahead of time =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I ink right over the pencil version... The scan above is just before I inked it. I think it would drive me nuts to ink on a lightbox.
    thanx:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. absolutely fantastic man, thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  4. How large do you work? The detail is faboo!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is 11 x 17... I do most of my cover type art at that size.

    ReplyDelete